After a few failed attempts, I finally baked a great cotton cake without a crack on top. This also helped me to understand more about my oven temperature.
Feeling lucky and excited :)Chocolate Cotton Cake 巧克力棉花蛋糕
* I used 6" round cake with removable bottom and use aluminium foil to wrap around the cake pan
40g Corn oil
35g Cake flour
15g Cocoa powder
3 Egg yolks
1 Whole egg
3 Egg whites
40g Castor sugar
- Heat up corn oil in a small sauce pan over low heat until lines appear (or soft boil), turn off heat.
- Add in sifted cake flour and cocoa powder into (1) while it still hot, mix until smooth (no lumps).
- Lightly whisk egg yolks and whole egg.
- Add in egg mixture to batter (2), pour in milk, whisk until ribbon stage. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites till foamy, add in sugar gradually, beat until soft peak.
- Add in 1/3 of the egg white batter into the egg yolk mixture, mix well.
- Fold in the remaining egg white batter till just incorporated, do not over mix
- Pour batter into pan and tap the pan to release big air bubbles.
- Bake using Water Bath 水浴法 method at preheated oven of 150C for 30 mins(upper heat only)150C for 30-40 mins(upper & lower heat). (at lower rack).
- Remove cake pan from oven and immediately drop the pan from a height of 10cm onto the table top. Invert to cool down completely before unmoulding.