Back to basic ~ A black forest birthday cake for my lovely hubby!
(Makes : a 6.5" round cake pan with removable bottom)
- Mix cocoa powder with hot water, set aside.
- Lightly whisk sugar and egg yolk. Add in corn oil, cocoa mixture (1) and milk. Then follow by sifted cake flour, corn flour and baking soda, mix well.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks.
- Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture, mix with egg yolk mixute.
- Fold the balance egg white mixture, combine well.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C at 35 mins (mine at 40 mins: lower rack).
- Remove cake from oven and invert the cake pan. Cool at wire rack.
400g whipping cream
30g icing sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder + 3 tbsp hot water
- Beat whipped cream and icing sugar until soft peak.
- Add in cocoa mixture and continue to beat until almost stiff peak
1 tin of Kirsch (cherry liqueur)
Some strawberries or fresh cherries
Some candy pearls (optional)
- Slice the chiffon cake into 3 equal portions.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream and top with cherries.
- Repeat the same method for 2nd and 3rd layer.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over sides and top of cake. Finish with a garnish of strawberries/cherries, candy pearls and chocolate shavings.