Teow Chew Glutinous Rice Kueh 潮州饭桃粿
Skin dough: (make 24)
250g rice flour
90g tapioca flour
450ml boiling hot water
1/2tsp pink colouring
3 tbs fried shallot oil
A. 250g glutinous rice (soak overnight), drained (I soak for 3 hours)
B. 50ml water, 5 tbs shallot oil, salt, chicken powder, sugar, sesame oil, pepper, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and oyster sauce to taste.
C. 30g Mung bean, soak overnight and steam for 15 minutes
D. 60g dried shrimp soak till soft and chopped.
3 mushroom soak with hot water till soft and thinly slice,
150g pork belly thinly slice and marinate with 1 tbs soy sauce
E. 1 handful of coriander leaves , chopped (I skip this)
To prepare the filling:
- Mix A and B, steam over high heat for 40 minutes. Cool the rice for 5 10 minutes and loosen the rice with chop-sticks.
- Steam C for 15 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- Fried D, Set aside.
- Add (2) and (3)and E into rice and mix well. Cover with glad wrap.
To make the dough:
- Mix rice flour and tapioca flour well in a big bowl. Add pink colouring into 900ml boiling water and pour over the flours. Mix well and cover with damp cloth and rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in oil and knead till the dough just come together. (if the dough is too try, you may add some oil so that the dough is easy to work with).
Making the Kueh:
- Divide the dough to 35g each. Roll the dough into a round shape and put some fillings in the middle and enclose the dough. Press the kueh into the mould to mould into shape.
- Arrange the kueh onto a slightly oiled plate and steam for 7 minutes or until the skin becomes translucent. Brush with some shallot oil when the kueh come out from the steam (This is to avoid the skin become hard )