Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Steamed Chocolate Layer Cake 蒸巧克力千层蛋糕

今年满脑子都是家乡传统新年糕饼。。。
蒸巧克力或咖啡千层糕也是我们家乡很受欢迎的一款!
明知自己的`“蒸功夫”向来不行,不过为了那记忆中的好味道,就豁出去!嘻嘻!
虽然蛋糕没有平均的层次,但那味道足已俘虜了我的味蕾!
As I really craving for my hometown traditional CNY goodies. decided to bake this traditional Steamed chocolate layer cake.

Even though I'm not good in handling steaming, yet I encourage myself to give this a try. Although you can see some layers are look uneven but the taste is heavenly!!! Bet I have a sweet dreams tonight, ZZZzzz!!! :)
Steamed Chocolate Layer Cake蒸巧克力千层蛋糕 
(Recipe adapted from: 蓝色小厨 & My Little favourite DIY with slight changes)

Makes :  7"x7" square pan with removable bottom 

(A) 
225g Butter

(B)
5 Eggs

(C)
150g Condensed Milk
150g kaya

(D)
135g Plain flour
100g Horlick

(E) Mix all together, set aside
4tsp Cocoa powder
1.5Tbsp Warm water

Method 
  1. Beat A till pale and fluffy. Add in B, one egg at a time and blend well.
  2. Add in C and D, beat till all combine
  3. Divide batter into two portions. one plain and the other one add in dilute chocolate (E).
  4. Steam in a 7 x 7 inches square pan (grease the pan and bottom line with parchment paper) layer by layer( each layer is 150g of batter). Each layer steam for 4~5 minutes. Do not steam too long as the surface of this cake will wrinkle and causes uneven layers.

31 comments:

  1. Esther, 我的蒸功夫也是不掂, 你的蛋糕已经是很美了!
    这么大的蛋糕, 而你家又人少少的。。。要不要我来帮嘴吃! 哈哈。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May, 你来帮我消灭一些, 当然是最好不过的了! 不然我新年衣就快穿不下了! 哈哈!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love your steamed cake. Look so so pretty and the texture is so fine. What can I substitute kaya with? I've never steam a butter cake before. Thanks for sharing, Esther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, in fact kaya, horlick and condensed milk are key ingredients which bring the aromatic to this layer cake. kaya maybe can substitute with caramel syrup but i m not sure about the outcome. If you try, please let ne know :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Esther,

    I'm sure that your steamed cake is so much healthier than the baked ones. Plus, every slice is so pretty and neatly layered.

    Well done!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, thank you for your encouraging words :)

      Delete
  4. Like kek lapis. This steamed version sure to be real good and moist in texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, the soft and moist texture is exactly what i was looking for, yummy! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Esther,
    This steamed Chocolate Layer Cake looks great ... so moist. I feel like peeling a slice ... layer by layer to enjoy ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I love to eat like what you said peel off layer by layer, very fun! Haha...

      Delete
  6. Esther, you cake looks so, so good! It's nice to look at too. Wish I can sample a piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Esther, for the kaya, should I use the pandan flavour (green) or the hainanese (brown) one? Thanks for your advise -- Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. 朋友啊。这个让我第一感觉像豹纹的颜色。哈哈哈 。。。。。。 哈哈哈 。。。。。。 很棒。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! 这个也变成豹纹了?! 哈哈哈哈!不过哈, 看一下,看一下。。。好像越来越像,嘻嘻!(晕) :)

      Delete
  9. Not even? It looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 我觉很棒啊!给我就做不出 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, 你若是做的话,肯定更美! :)

      Delete
  11. I wish I had a proper steamer to make this. It looks fantastic, Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 我来咯。。。。。。
    我也觉得有豹的色彩! 哈。。。哈。。。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 嘻嘻! 那就记得把豹的文化,发扬光大呗。。。哈哈哈!

      Delete
  13. Like like like like like! Super like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Esther, is it possible to replace Horlick to milo or all flour? and can I bake this cake instead of steam? Thanks
    --- Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, you can replace horlick with milo but it will look low contrast in colour. You can bake instead of steam. I personally prefer steam method which is moist in texture compare to bake one.

      Delete
  15. Hi Esther,
    Your cake looks great!
    I miss this, now you are making me craving for it :D
    Thanks for shout out and link back.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui, u dont bake any kuih layer this year? Dont worry still have time to bake one for youself :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Doreen, I love these, They are like steamed kueh lapis!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete