I baked myself a birthday cake few days ago.
Although there is no gorgeous decorative with appealing finished touch, but it do taste amazing!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Cake 蓝莓乳酪蛋糕
(Recipe adapted from Nasi lemak Lover)Makes : 1 x 6" removable bottom cake pan
50g butter (salted)50g cake flour
3 egg yolks (A size)
3 egg whites (A size)50g caster sugar
6g corn starch
- Separate egg yolk from egg white in 2 mixing bowl. Set aside to return to room temperature.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, once you see small bubbles, remove from heat.
- Immediately add in flour, quickly stir to become batter, then add in milk, mix well.
- Add in egg yolk one at a time, stir well on each addition. The batter is slightly runny if compare to normal chiffon batter.
- Mix sugar and corn starch together. Beat egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar and corn starch mixture (in three batches) and continue beat until stiff peaks.
- Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.Fold in 1/3 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
- Pour into cake tin, bake at pre-heated oven at 140C (no fan) for 25mins at low rack, then increase to 170C (no fan) for another 25mins.
- Once baked, turn your chiffon tin upside down and cool completely before remove from the tin.
Cream Cheese Frosting
112g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
57 unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
210g icing sugar
1 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
- Beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain. (about 3 minutes)
- Add icing sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt, mix with low speed.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp heavy cream to thin out, if desired.
- Slice the sponge cake into 3 equal layers.
- Evenly spread 1st layer with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle in some blueberries
- Then 2nd layer and 3rd layer, repeat method (2)
- Top with frosting and spread around the side.
- Decorate as desired.
- Chill for 1 hour.