Happy Easter to everyone! To those that don't celebrate Easter, Happy Weekend!
Orange hot cross bun is a bit different from traditional hot cross bun which I use the orange zest to replace mixed spices. I feel more comfortable with the orange flavour and soft-pillowy texture from the tangzhong method.
I was satisfied with my first attempt "Easter cross buns"result :)
Orange Hot Cross Buns (Tangzhong Method) 香橙十字面包 (汤种）
(Recipe adapted from :Christine's recipes with minor changes)
Yield: 15 buns
50g bread flour
250ml water (or 50/50 water & milk)
350 gm bread flour
35 gm sugar
5 gm salt
56 gm whisked egg, plus extra for egg wash
7 gm milk powder, optional
125 ml milk (35g orange juice + 90g milk)
120 gm Tangzhong (Tangzhong recipe you may refer here)
5 to 6 gm dried instant yeast (1 1/4 tsp)
30 gm butter, softened at room temperature
100 gm raisins
1/2 tsp mixed spice, or to taste (I replace with 2 tbsp orange zest)
4 Tbsp plain flour
2 to 2 1/2 Tbsp water (3tbsp)
- Mix all the ingredient except butter and knead till smooth.
- Add in butter and knead till smooth and elastic dough.
- Add in raisin and orange zest 5 mins before ending of kneading process.
- Cover with cloth and let it prove for 1 hour or double size.
- Divide into 15 portion (50g each). Shape into round ball and rest for 20-30 mins.
- To prepare flour paste: Combine 4 tablespoons of plain flour with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir to a smooth paste, then spoon into a piping bag and cut away the tip.
- Brush whisked egg on the surface of buns. Pipe flour paste over tops to form crosses.
- Bake at preheat oven at 190C for 15 mins or until golden brown.
Happy Easter Day! Happy Weekened!