Baked "Ji Dan Gao" is very popular among fellow bloggers and in FB as well.
This cake is rather light and fluffy in texture, with taste like ogura/xiang si cake. However, it is easier to handle than ogura cake. Highly recommended to all!
Zebra Cake/Baked Ji Dan Gao（班马纹烤鸡蛋糕）
Makes: One 6" round cake with removable bottom
A) 3 eggs white
65g icing sugar
B) 3 egg yolk
1 whole egg
50g corn oil
65g self raising flour, sifted
C) 8g cocoa powder + 2 tbsp hot water
- Whisk eggs yolk and whole egg, flour till well combined, set aside.
- In another bowl, use mixer to beat the eggs white and gradually add in sugar. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Fold in 1/3 of eggs white into egg yolk batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Divide cake batter into 2 portion (2/3 for plain cake batter, 1/3 for chocolate cake batter). Add (C) into 1/3 cake batter, fold lightly to mix.
- Scoop one plain batter into middle of cake pan, then add a scoop of chocolate batter on top of plain batter. Continue to alternate between plain and chocolate layer until finished.
- Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles.
- Preheat oven at 170c and bake for 35 minutes.
- Invert to cool down completely before unmoulding.