I am not good in making Nyonya kuih, especially those need to be steamed. No matter how hard I tried, it always end up with undesirable result. Unlike other steam kuih, ondeh-ondeh is consider rather easy to master. I like its QQ/springy texture and the taste of the gula melaka melt in your mouth.
I was so tempted to try this Ondeh-ondeh after reading Jessie posting. Nevertheless, it was delayed until today.
Recently, I was down with flu and cough for almost a week. Recovery is rather slow and was advised by the doctor to have more rest and avoid crowded places. I wish everyone good health and take care.
谢谢Jessie & Joceline :)
Purple Sweet Potato Ondeh-ondeh (紫薯椰丝糯米球)(Recipe source : adapted from Jessie Cooking Moments, originally from Joceline）
Make : 29 Ondeh-ondeh (I made half of this recipe about 14 Ondeh-ondeh)
150g Mashed sweet potato, sifted
150g Glutinous rice flour
125g Icy cold water
12g Caster sugar
100g Palm sugar (Gula Melaka)
100g Sherdded coconut
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Pandan leaf, tied a knot
- Fill up a bowl with room temperature water. Freeze for 30 mins or until further use.
- Chop the gula melaka roughly. Place in a stick blender, blitz until resembles fine crumbs, set aside.
- Mixed coconut with salt. Steam with pandan leaf until soft. (about 15-20 mins)
- To make the dough, mix flour with sweet potato until resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water, starting with 50ml, knead the dough, add little bit of water at a time & knead until the dough is pliable & not sticky.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a clean, wet tea towel to prevent dryness.
- Grab a small piece of dough, about 15g & roll into ball. Either flatten it or make it into a small bowl-shape, place some gula melaka inside.
- Carefully seal & roll into balls again. Place on a line tray. Cover with cling wrap. Repeat until the dough is all used up.
- Remove water from the freezer.
- Cook ondeh-ondeh in boiling water until they float up. Do this in small batches. Don't over-crowded the cooking pot. Give a gentle stir to the ondeh ondeh if they stick to the base of the pot for too long.
- They should be cooked within a few minutes.
- Very quickly remove from hot water & place in the cold water.(Tips for QQ skin)
- Remove from the cold water, then coat with coconut before serve.
Happy Weekend :)