Friday, October 18, 2013

Almost Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies (巧克力粒饼干)

When I saw a post from Mel (here), the words "Almost Famous Amos" caught my eye. I love FA cookies and I told my cookies monster aka hubby for this recipe, he was so excited and looking forward to try. Finally, I baked these cookies for him last weekend. Guess what? He finished them within two nights (about 70 pieces). That is why I called him "Cookies Monster" :) This is a perfect chocolate chip cookies recipe for me up-to this date although I only able to grab and taste a few pieces from the cookies monster :)

Almost Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies (巧克力粒饼干)
(Recipe adapted and inspired by Mel aka Through The Kitchen Door  with minor changes in purple)

Make about 75 pieces

Ingredients 
250g salted butter, softened
200g light brown sugar  (I used 150g)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coffee oil (this is the one that gives the cookie its distinctive fragrance)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup oats, processed to bits in a chopper (I used 25g nestum)
1/4 cup ground almond (I used 25g)
1/2 cup of your favourite nuts, chopped finely (optional, I used 60g almond)
1 pack of Nestle Tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (I used abt 150g)

300g self-raising flour 
Method 
At least 2 hours or the night before, beat egg with vanilla & coffee oil to infuse. If done the night before, refrigerate & then bring it to room temperature before mixing. 

Preheat oven to 160C. (190C)
Beat butter, sugar & salt to combine. Beat in egg and stir in the processed oats, ground almond, chopped nuts (if used) and the chocolate chips / chunks. Sift flour and fold it in. 

For small cookies, place half tsp dough, spaced slightly apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 9 to 10 minutes. For large cookies, place rounded tbsp of the dough spaced apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 22 minutes (30 minutes for 1 tbsp dough)


Cool completely before serving.  To allow the flavour and fragrance to develop further, store cookies in an airtight container overnight before serving.

Choc-a-Cookies (October 2013)
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #36 hosted by Genie of Honeybee916food.

Thank you for Mel's sharing :)
Happy Munchy!!!

32 comments:

  1. Hi Esther
    I baked this cookies just the other day and there are still one jar left on kitchen island. You baked yours so nicely golden brown. Infact this is my best chocolate chips cookies and doesnt even want to try any other recipe anymore. I guess your hb will ask for more..... and Im glad you have gave this a try. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, these cookies are so good, crispy and crunchy, I will definitely bake these again. Thank you for sharing ya :)

      Delete
  2. 香!香!香!
    而且假期到了,这将是很好的手伴礼,谢谢你的分享。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Young, 这饼干很香很好吃,很值得一试,相信小孩更喜欢!

      Delete
  3. Wao, your hubby really is a cookies monster. ha... but i think this is really a good cookies. I have a long time didn't bake any cookies. May be i should try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xing Hui, I highly recommend this wonderful recipe! Give it a try :)

      Delete
  4. HI,ESTHER,,
    could u tel me,,where can i buy coffee oi,,'if i don have
    wat can i used to subsitute,,
    hope hear from u,,
    thanks---jamie,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther, your hubby is really cookie monster! 70 cookies within 2 nights, myself also kalah :) I must try this recipe! I have same question as jamie, where to get coffee oil? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie and Phong Hong,
    I think you can get it from those bakery ingredients supplies shop. I bought mine at 8P Concept Taman Midah. Coffee oil is smell fantastic and it works well with these cookies. If you can't find one at your place, just replace it with coffee paste or essence. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 我家小瓜对它,应该好有兴趣。谢谢Esther 好分享。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 水晶美女,这个香脆可口的饼干,相信你家的小瓜们一定会钟意。快快动手做吧 ;)

      Delete
  8. these cookies are fantastic indeed! bundle up some for me ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry have to wait for next batch because this time no more stock left, all finished by the cookies monster, hahaha...

      Delete
  9. Already bookmark Mel' s recipe earlier, I hope I can bake this soon for my kids ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I'm sure your kids will love it, very good recipe :)

      Delete
  10. 我也做了巧克力饼干,不过还没上贴,先吃你的咯!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 欢迎欢迎,下次我再到你家korek 饼干吃!哈哈!

      Delete
  11. 哎哟哟,香叻!可以请我吃吗?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 哦,饼干已经被我的老扫光了,下次再请你吃!呵呵!

      Delete
  12. 这个好赞。。。好棒的下午茶噢(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 晓,我们家好奇怪,把饼干当夜宵吃!哈哈!

      Delete
  13. 哎呀! 几天没上来, 怎么多了只鹿在这里, 还以为走错路了呢! 哈哈哈
    很美的新家, 这么迟来, 这饼干还有吗?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May, 有没有秋天的feel? 我在迎接秋天的到来呀!哈哈。。。
      这饼干被老的sapu光了,下次再做给你吃哦!:)

      Delete
  14. Perfect cookies for tea break! 100% sure my hubby will love it too! But will not finish 70pcs in 2 days lo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable right?!Next week I have to start my second batch again,hahaha....

      Delete
  15. noticed you change your blog's design, cute and nice. i love to have cookies in the afternoon... especially with a hot cup of latte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cquek,thank you love it! Welcome Autumn indeed :)

      Delete
  16. Never knew about the coffee oil - going to try this soon for christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine, thank you for dropping by.I believe this cookies is great to serve during christmas :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Esther, may I know which type of oat you use? Raw oat or 3in1?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Esther, it is possible you share a picture of the oat packaging you used for this cookies? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Esther, i shared this recipe of yours on FB's Baking's Corner when someone asked for Almost Famous Amos cookie recipe. May i know the setting type for the oven to bake? Is it fan-forced or only top/bottom or top&bottom heat? TIA.

    ReplyDelete