Japanese strawberry shortcake is a traditional & favourite cake served during Christmas or birthday in Japan. But that day I made this cake is just for fun!
To Me, decorating cake is an art which require imagination and creativity. I'm not good in art and also poor in piping skill :)
Japanese strawberry shortcake sounds easy to decorate and no piping required. Perhaps, good for me to get started!!!
Thank you Sonia's for sharing.
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake 日式草莓蛋糕
(recipe source: inspired and adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes a 6” round removable bottom cake pan
60g caster sugar
60g Top flour or cake flour
20g melted unsalted butter
10ml hot water
1/2tsp rum or vanilla extract
150g whipping cream
1tbsp caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
125g fresh strawberries (half-chopped, half- for decorating on top)
- Add eggs in a mixing bowl, use a hand whisk, lightly stir well the eggs.
- Add in sugar, lightly mix well with eggs.
- Bring the mixing bowl over a pot of hot simmering water, use the hand whisk, continue to stir till sugar dissolved and until the mixture pleasant to touch.
- Remove the mixing bowl, immediately use an electric handheld mixer to beat the mixture until pale to white or ribbon stage (my mixer- 10mins at speed 3, 5mins at speed 1 (to eliminate large bubbles). In fact, you can beat it even longer than 15mins, to have better result).
- Sift in flour in 3 stages, cut through the mixture with a wire whisk after each addition.
- Sprinkle the cooled melted butter over the batter and fold in using a spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan, towards the end, pour batter to one side of the pan (to minimize cake from developing a dome).
- Lift the tin and drop it gently onto the table top twice to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake the cake at pre-heated oven at 170C for 25mins to 30mins (place at middle rack)
- While cake is baking, now prepare the syrup, dissolved sugar with hot water, add rum and mix well. Set aside.
- Add sugar, whipping cream and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Place the bowl over another bowl that filled with ice water, beat whipping cream till soft peak. Store in the fridge before decorating the cake.
- Once cake is done, cool it upside down onto a cooling wire rack. Once cake is cooled, slice the cake half.
- Brush sugar syrup on the first layer, then spread a layer cream on top, sprinkle chopped strawberries.
- Brush another layer with sugar syrup, then place it on top of the first layer, spread the remaining cream, then decorate with strawberries on top.
- Chill the cake before serve.
Have a Sweet day !