Potato Buns (马铃薯面包）(Recipe source: adapted from Butter, Flour & Me)
Make 9 buns
Ingredients for Buns :
250g High protein flour
50g Mashed potatoes
50g UHT whipping cream
6g Instant yeast
Custard topping :
1 Egg yolk
65g Fresh milk
10g Brown sugar
15g High protein flour
Method for custard:
- Put all the ingredients in a small pot, mix well.
- Place the pot over low heat and keep stirring till the mixture thickens.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge for 1 hour.
Method for buns:
- Put all the ingredients (except butter) in the mixing bowl and knead until semi developed. (with stand mixer).
- Add in butter and continue to knead until smooth, elastic and full developed.
- Cover with damp cloth of plastic wrap and set aside to proof for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 9 portions and form into round balls, rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough into long rectangle shape and roll up tightly. Place rolls with point down, on greased baking pan.
- Cover with damp cloth amd leave to proof for 2nd time (about 45 minutes).
- Pipe custard crosses on each round.
- Preheat oven at 170C bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pan, brush with melted butter (if desire).