As a beginner, I start with an easy recipe to gain some experience. If you are also like malay food and want something quick and easy to prepare, then you can try out this recipe!!!
右手边 : 我用的Nasi Dagang米。
Right-hand side : Rice that I used to cook my nasi dagang.Nasi Dagang Kelatan (Quick version)
(Recipe adapted from here with minor changes)
1 cup Rice (Beras nasi dagang Kelantan)
1 cup Coconut Milk
1 cup Water
1/2 tsp Salt or to taste.
1 tbsp Fenugreek/Halba
3 Shallots - sliced
2 Cloves of garlic - sliced
1"Ginger - sliced
1. Wash and drain rice.
2. Put in rice, fenugreek, all the sliced ingredients to rice cooker.
3. Add in the coconut milk, water and salt, stir well.
4. Switch on the rice cooker or steam for 30 minutes, done.
Gulai Ikan Tongkol
(Recipe adapted from rempah gulai nasi dagang ready mixed package with minor changes)
4 Cloves garlic
5 pieces of dried red chili (soak in hot water for 15 mins and deseed)
2 pcs Ikan Tongkol (I used Ikan Tenggiri) (soak in warm water with tamarind slice/asam keping and salt)
50gm Rempah gulai nasi dagang (a package of ready mixed)
1 cup Coconut milk
1/2" belacan (optional)
1 piece asam gelugor
Salt to taste
1. Blend all the ingredients A until paste texture, set aside.
2. Heat wok over low heat and add in 2 tbsp oil. Stir fry chili paste until fragrant and glossy
(as picture above).
3. Put in rempah gulai, stir to combine.
4. Add in water from the soaked fish, salt, sugar and belacan.
5. Pour in coconut milk and keep stirring until mixture boiled.
6. Put in fish pieces and bring to boil or until sauce become thick. Done.