Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ayam Masak Merah & Garlic Rice (香辣红番茄鸡 & 蒜香饭)

Ayam Masak Merah is one of my favorite Malay foods. I love Malay foods but I seldom cook them because I am not familiar with those herbs or spices used in Malay cuisine. However, I was inspired to cook this super delicious dish  after I saw Mui Mui and Cass cooked them for Little Thumbs Up event. 

香辣红番茄鸡是我来吉隆玻后,接触最多也是最爱的一道马来料理。喜欢它甜中带辣的味道,非常好吃!我很爱吃马来料理,但是且很少煮马来料理,原因是我搞不清楚那些香料的名称和用法。不过,当我看到Mui Mui 在“小姆子”活动里的这道香辣红番茄鸡时,心里开始蠢蠢欲动了,之后又看到Cass煮这道美食,我终于忍不住了。恰好,最近有去登嘉楼,便趁机了解和购买一些新鲜的香料。所以,今天就煮了这道好吃的料理。
Deng deng deng deng!!! My fragrance Ayam Masak Merah and Garlic rice on board !!!!
等等等等.!!! 香喷喷的香辣红番茄鸡 & 蒜香饭上桌啦!
Ayam Masak Merah (香辣红番茄鸡)
(Recipe adapted from Table for 2 or more with minor changes in red)

Ingredients
850gm chicken parts (6 large drumsticks) (I used 2 large drumsticks)

1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp)

½ tsp turmeric powder

Dash of pepper

3 shallots 
2 cloves of garlic 
1 cm ginger
2 red chilli

2 inches cinnamon (I used 1 inches cinnamon)
3 cloves (bunga cengkih)
3 cardamoms (buah pelaga)
1 red onion sliced

½ cup tomato ketchup
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup water
1/3 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup canned green peas (I used Ayam brand of which is more pale in colour and has that soft mushy texture) (I didn't add this)
1 tbsp of tomato puree (I follow Mui Mui version)

Method
  1. Marinate chicken with salt, turmeric and pepper for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Mill shallots, ginger, garlic and chilli. Heat wok and put in ½ cup of oil. Pan fry chicken pieces until the skin turns golden. Dish up. It’s ok if the chicken is not cooked thoroughly and still oozes some blood.
  3. Pour away some of the oil, leaving behind about 2-3 Tbsp of oil.
  4. Saute the milled ingredients on medium heat until it looks glossy, put in dry spices and sliced onion and continue to sauté until the onions looks translucent and wilts. 
  5. Put in the rest of the ingredients, except peas.  Return chicken into the wok to cook until the gravy reduces to preferred amount.
  6. Put in green peas and let it cook for a while. Dish up and serve.

Garlic Rice (蒜香饭)
Please refer Table for 2 or more for recipe, 华文版食谱请看这里
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) Theme "Tomato" and Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids)

Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Oh! I didn't know the tomato event theme for Little Thumbs Up is still on. Actually I want to make this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,please check with Mui Mui(Doreen)if you still have any unlink post for tomato theme. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. 这个我不曾煮过,但有意思当中会想煮。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, 真的好吃,没骗你。试试看!!! :)

      Delete
  3. 这个也是在我的排行版里,先来你家吃这夜宵先了!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 好我们一起吃,改天再到你家吃!

      Delete
  4. Hi Esther
    Ayam Masak Merah is one of my favorite dish. The flavourful sauce is so tasty and more so the next day. Ive cooked this using different recipe previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, I just saw your earlier post for AMM, looks very inviting and the colour is beautiful. Next time I will try your version. Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. 这“红鸡”果然当真红,
    竟然从三月红到四月,
    你家的红鸡很醒胃,都在咕咕叫了,怎办?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 哈哈。。祝这“红鸡”永远常红!!!

      Delete
  6. 我也贊同Aunty Young的說法,這是當紅的雞,一道色香味全的菜餚。大前天和一位朋友聊天,她說也做了這道雞,聽了她的版本後,我現在很期待她上貼子, 因為我要做不是很辣的版本,哈哈!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie,我还嫌它不够辣,下次再加辣!!!因为我喜欢辣辣的版本,哈哈。。

      Delete
  7. 哇~~~这个GOOD,我看到都受不了!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 哈哈。。。那就不要客气咯!

      Delete
  8. 哇!配上那蒜香饭,不得了啦……!!
    赞噢^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have cooked this dish using Wendy's recipe before so I know it is very tasty...yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther, this is so very yum! yum! Wish I can have some....

    ReplyDelete
  11. 这道菜,我要快快record在555的小册子,等cass煮给我吃,哈哈哈哈!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Esther,
    Your AMM look super yummy!
    Can I share with you your AMM drumstick..lol
    Thanks for sharing this in LTU.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esther,
    谢谢你for the shout out ^_^
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  14. 看了真的很想吃叻!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. good morning esther, i never tried ayam mask merah before but have seen it in many blogs recently and all of them loved it. Hope i can try it out some day too!

    ReplyDelete