Sunday, March 24, 2013

Taiyaki (鲷鱼烧)

Happy to be back in my kitchen again!!! I am busy for my works recently. Dealing with figure and amount is not as interested as to baking in the kitchen, hahaha...Miss all my blogger buddies !!! I hope I have a sweet time to go through all the blogs that I missed out recently.

Taiyaki is a Japanese fish-shaped cake. Usually it is made using pancake or waffle batter and the filling is red bean paste or azuki beans. Other than the red beans filling you have many choices like custard, chocolate, cheese & etc.

I bought my taiyaki pan (picture below) one year ago and this is only the third time I used it. I am very satisfy with my third attempt compare to first and second recipe. Thank you for Angel(Cook.Bake.Love) sharing this great recipe.
 
My Taiyaki with Nutella chocolate filling
 Taiyaki Pan that I use
Taiyaki
(Recipe adapted from Angel aka Cook.Bake.Love)

Ingredients:
(A)
1 cup (125g) plain flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt

(B)
1 cup (240ml) milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Fillings: red bean paste (or other fillings of your choice) (I used nutella)

Method:
1. Combine (A) in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Combine (B) in a jug, mix well.
2. Pour in (B) into (A). Use a hand whisk to stir till just incorporated (should take less than 30 
    seconds, do not over mix). Transfer the batter to a jug for easy pouring.
3. Preheat Taiyaki pan over medium low heat for about 30 seconds, brush both side of the pan with
    little butter (just need to grease once). Add batter till about 80% full, add 1 spoon of fillings at the
    centre then cover the red bean paste with little batter and fill up the “tail”.
4. Cover the pan and flip the pan immediately. Cook over medium low heat for about 3 mins, flip and
    cook for another 2-3 mins till both sides become golden brown. You may open the pan in between
    to check the colour but not the first 2 mins (adjust the cooking time according to the size of Taiyaki
    and your own stove).
Happy Baking !!!!

37 comments:

  1. Esther, your taiyaki looks cute hee..hee...And wah, Nutella filling some more! Sure very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, taiyaki with nutella is really yum yum. Somemore I can clear my big bottle nutella :)

      Delete
  2. Esther, I only used the taiyaki pan once during the school holidays last year. Next time I'll add with nutella filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, with this great recipe, you can make use of your taiyaki pan. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Hi Esther
    You were MIA for quite awhile but Im glad to see you posting again. Ooo....taiyaki seems to be the right thing for my snack time and nutella .....add more for me please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, long time no see, a special treat for you "taiyaki with more nutella",hahaha.....

      Delete
  4. Well come back!! And what a lovely tasty treat for your readers and blogger friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dare not to buy this pan because I afraid will not use that often , hehehe.. Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually without this pan you still can make it into regular pancake by using non-stick pan like what Angel mentioned in her post.

      Delete
  6. What an adorable snack recipe! The nutella filling sounds really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, you're right, especially serve while hot :)

      Delete
  7. 好可爱的小鱼,包进香浓的Nutella一定很美味!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, 真的nutella 可以为小鱼加分!!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Esther,

    Taiyaki with nutella... Yum! Will buy this pan if I can find it :D

    Btw, I have the same plate as yours too... I got mine from Diaso.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I got my plate from Diaso too and i bought the taiyaki pan during a Japanese Fair :)

      Delete
  9. Such a creative idea and the little fish are so cute!
    Plus,I love anything with Nutella :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 哇!有Nutella一定好吃的,小孩的最爱!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 不只小孩喜欢,连我这个大小孩也喜欢它,哈哈!

      Delete
  11. 这尾小鱼美的不得了,但我担心买了模具,也是三分钟热度,所以啊!
    来你家咬一口,就够了,嘻嘻!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 对呀, 我们女人就是这样,常常买了一大堆有的没的。之后就是搁在一边,然后慢慢就忘了,嘿嘿!!!
      咬一口那里够,咬多多口吧 !!! :)

      Delete
  12. Esther,

    Your Taiyaki looks soft and fluffy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel,Thank you and appreciate for great recipe.

      Delete
  13. I like any food that comes with red beans, haha! So, 1 fish for me, can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, but mine is nutella filling, please don't mind ya :)

      Delete
  14. 看了真的有冲动去买这个模型。^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean, 如果你真想买,那就记得买有两条鱼的模型。像我以上那个一条鱼的,需要烘很多次 :)

      Delete
  15. So cute, I'm sure all kids will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 这个我吃过,好吃呢!
    不过,我没那么勤劳啦,就吃你的咯,呵呵。。。

    ReplyDelete
  17. 这个我都有吃过,但就是买不到这个模型

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, 我的模型是在一个Japanese fair 买的。如果下次还有看到这模型,我通知你!

      Delete
  18. I have always wanted one of these fish pan but never really see them in the store (I shop at Japanese stores all the time). Guess I need to search harder. Or maybe even take a trip to Japan (haha, what a nice excuse!!). Your taiyaki looks wonderful and delicious. :) Love that you used Nutella as the filling. I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Esther,
    Cute looking fish:D
    Your fish mould look interesting.
    Must be a delicious fish with nutella filing..:D
    mui

    ReplyDelete