Thursday, February 14, 2013

Honeycomb Cake (蜂巢蛋糕)

嗡嗡嗡!!!蜜蜂回家咯!
昨天三姑在电话闲聊中突然提起蜂巢蛋糕,又向我要食谱。
哦!我怎么把这个曾经带给我许多美好的回忆的蛋糕给遗忘了呢?!
毕竟它是我人生中第一个学会作的蛋糕,也是影响我走入烘焙世界的蛋糕。。。
蜂巢蛋糕不但有美丽的蜂巢结构, 而且柔软,香香甜甜如胶质般的口感,很特别又好吃!
冷藏后或第二天才吃,味道更佳!
当厨房再次飘散着阵阵的蜂巢蛋糕芳香时,感觉好幸福呀!!!

Yesterday when I talked to my SIL over the phone, she mentioned about the honeycomb cake and reminded me of my first love which attract me to this baking life.
The texture of this cake is holey, light, chewy (Q) with caramel aroma. It taste better after cold storage or consume in the next day.
Let this wonderful aroma fill up your kitchen and warm your heart!
Home Sweet Home!!!
Make 9 cupcakes
Honeycomb Cake (蜂巢蛋糕)
(Recipe adapted from : 小本厨房实錄)

Ingredients :
A. Syrup
35g water
100g sugar
140g hot water

B.
50g Unsalted butter (melted)
2 Eggs (about 100 - 105g)
20g Honey
120g Condensed milk
90g Cake flour / Low protein flour (sifted)
3g Baking soda / Soda bicarbonate
Method :
  1. Caramelized sugar and water over low heat in a saucepan until it is golden brown. Stir at all time.
  2. Add the hot water to the caramel. Caution! The hot caramel will splash when water is added. Continue to heat until syrup is homogeneous. Set aside to let cool.
  3. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the melted butter and egg with hand whisk, one egg at a time.
  4. Add honey and condensed milk, mix well.
  5. Pour the sifted flour and baking soda, mix well.
  6. Add cooled syrup into batter and stir well to combine.
  7. Leave the batter aside at least 45 minutes. Important! This enables the baking soda to react before baking.  
  8. Pour batter into a greased cake pan or cupcakes liner (fill batter 70% full).
  9. Preheat oven at 180c and bake for 25-30 minutes until skewer inserted to centre of cake comes out  clean. (Bake for 40 minutes)
Happy Valentine's day!!! Love as sweet as honey!!!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Esther,
    These little cakes looks real moist and yummy. I made this once and unfortunately I don't really like it....probably I didn't do well in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, actually these cakes you have to follow the steps to add ingredients properly for good results.The correct ratio of baking soda also play an important role. Too much of baking soda will result in bitter and soapy taste :)

      Delete
  2. This cake is new to me...
    Thanks for dropping by my blog...
    I shall link u too ... such a great blog to me yo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I think this cake is quite familiar in East M'sia and Indonesia, but not west M'sia :)

      Delete
  3. Looks yummeh :D
    Looks like one of those Malay makcik kuih, unfortunately I cannot recall the name at the top of my head :( but I know it is cook by steaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, you're right. Malay stalls used to sell these cakes especially during fasting month. They called them "Kek Sarang Semut".
      Thank you very much for your comment :)

      Delete
    2. yes... that the one -> kek sarang semut ... :D

      Delete
  4. Cool! The honeycomb muffins look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, they taste delicious too :) Thank you and appreciate for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. These honeycomb cakes are so beautiful. I can't wait to try them. I love the aroma from honey...these cakes must be heavenly to have for tea time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Yes, these cakes have great aroma and taste, my family enjoy having them too :)

      Delete
  6. Such cute looking and adorably named cup-cake!!
    WE love honey in anything ... and condensed milk ...
    Help!! We need these cakes right now( My daughter and I )!! ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, I wish I could send you and your daughter some now :)
      Have a nice day!!!

      Delete
  7. I've been looking for this recipe! Last time I ate it was when I was a kid. I love the chewy texture. Thanks, Esther! Am bookmarking for future attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, indeed this cake is one of my favorite childhood cake. Honestly, I've tried many of honeycomb recipes and I think this is the best among the rest. Thanks for giving it a try :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Esther,

    Nice to know that this is the cake that get your baking passion started... Love the QQ texture and the defined honeycomb design of your cakes. Very nice!

    Glad to hear from you! Happy that corn is the ingredient to cook for April. Like my son always say... "I want my corn-y!" Not now... April! LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...cornyyyyy!!! By the way, I will cook more pineapple dishes for you!!!!

      Delete
  9. Hui Esther,
    I missed this cake, I have not baked this for a long time. Normally when baking this cake, it always give the honeycomb effect in the cake but sometimes the effect is not that great then no honeycomb appear.

    Wow! Lots of honey bee come to your house....lol
    Yours looks moist and nice. Yum!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui, I like honeycomb but not beessssss!!!!! hehe...

      Delete
  10. Wow! Looks good & you've made them in mini shape! I've been meaning to make this M'sian treat but never get around it. Hopefully by end of the year I will make it ! LOL

    ReplyDelete