Monday, January 28, 2013

Almond Cookies (杏仁饼干)

Initially I don't plan to make almond cookies for CNY. However, a blogger  Mel (aka Through The Kitchen Door) recommended her favorite almond cookies recipe to me. It is interesting for me to try !
Hippy!!! Hurray!!! It is a of kind of salty-sweet and great almond flavor cookies that l always loved. Thank you to Mel for recommended this recipe and knowing her is my pleasure as well. 

I only realised that I don't  have any plain flour left when I want to make these cookies, so I replace it with self raising flour and cut down half teaspoon of baking powder and baking soda from the original recipe. Well, the cookies still turn out great with these substitution.


Almond Cookies (杏仁饼干
(Recipe source : adapted from Mel aka Through The Kitchen Door with minor changes
 in purple colour)
*makes about 69 pcs
Ingredients
A
120g almond meal (ground almond)
180g plain flour (replaced by self raising flour)

120 caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt (less than 1/4 tsp)

1 tsp baking powder  (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp baking soda (I used more than 1/2 tsp)


B 
120ml vegetable cooking oil (sunflower, canola or corn oil)

For Glazing:1 egg yolk (beaten)

1.  Combine Ingredients A and B in a mixer and mix to form a dough.

     (In this part, you may use your hands to knead till all combined well.  It look more like
     crumbs but it is ok or you may add a little more oil in).
2.  Scale the dough of about 7g each rounded portion.  (I used a watermelon ball roller to scoop
     out an amount instead of weighing to 7g everytime.  After that, using both my palms to lightly 
     roll round again.)
3.  Arrange on a lined baking trays and glaze the surfaces with egg wash.
4.  Bake at a preheated oven at 180 Celcius for about 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
     Cool well before storage.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

13 comments:

  1. Hi Esther,
    It looks exactly like mine......no wonder you are called CopyCat! Hee...hee..... You made this so beautiful! I am sure you will love this cookies and those who have eaten it would give thumbs up and asked for the recipe too! Enjoy your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel,yours looks better. I don't why the egg yolk on top not yellow and nice like yours?

      Delete
    2. Oh, you know why? Before putting in to oven, I brush one time on egg wash.....and 5 minutes before done, I quickly lightly brush one more time to give it another golden brown colour lor......So the end result will have more golden brown (that is my secret...!) Hee...hee....!

      Delete
    3. oh!!!!okay, now i know why..haha...thank you for sharing this "secret" with me and now no secret anymore :)

      Delete
  2. 每一粒的杏仁饼干都是圆圆美美的, 看起来就是好好吃的样子!!
    我昨天收工咯!暂且不做年饼咯!
    接下来就到处看看博友们的年饼了。。。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 珊珊, 做完这个我也是收工了!接下来要準备年菜去了!^_^

      Delete
  3. 真的很圆,粒粒都那么均匀漂亮,作的真美呀 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass, 这里每一粒我都用电子秤秤过,才甘愿,所以好累呀!

      Delete
  4. Esther, now you got me wanting to try this cookie too! Beautifully done by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like sweet salty cookies, but dont think i have time to make this year, let me drool you cookies lar, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phong Hong & Sonia,
    Thanksss....Pllease help yourself ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther,
    Your almond cookies looks like pieces of golden nuggets..lol
    Can pass some to me?:p
    mui

    ReplyDelete