Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Braised Chicken and Egg (Teochew style) (滷鸡与滷蛋)


My mum can cook Teochew braised duck very well and this is also one of our Chinese new year eve favourite dish . I miss this dish all the time. When my mum was visited me last few months, I quickly asked her for this recipe. She wrote me this recipe in her "own" recipe style...a bit messy, hehe...so I rewrite the recipe in a proper format.

The dark soy sauce I used is a bit dark, ended up the drumstick also looks "Hitam Manis". I used chicken drumstick to replace duck.



Ingredients
4 chicken drumsticks
1 stalk lemongrass  (trimmed, bruised and halved)
1-inch piece fresh galangal (smashed)
6 red onions (peeled and chopped)
1 cup water (add more if you needed)
1 tbsp sugar
A pinch of salt to taste

Marinate
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce 
1 tbsp five spices powder (or 1-inch cinnamon,2 star anise, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 2  whole cloves)
Method
  1. Dry the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
  2. Heat up the pan, put in oil and add in all the ingredients except water, cook until golden brown.
  3. Pour in the water, boiled.
  4. Put in the chicken, bring to a boil. (For braised eggs add in at this stage)
  5. At low heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until cooked (add some water if the sauce is drying up).
Braised Eggs
  1. Prepared the hard-boilded eggs and peeled off the shell.



Cheers !!!

2 comments:

  1. Look so mouthwatering! i need to have more rice to go with this dish. 冬至快乐!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,
    This look a bit like my mil's braised duck.
    Yours look so delish...
    mui

    ReplyDelete