The dark soy sauce I used is a bit dark, ended up the drumstick also looks "Hitam Manis". I used chicken drumstick to replace duck.
4 chicken drumsticks
1 stalk lemongrass (trimmed, bruised and halved)
1-inch piece fresh galangal (smashed)
6 red onions (peeled and chopped)
1 cup water (add more if you needed)
1 tbsp sugar
A pinch of salt to taste
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp five spices powder (or 1-inch cinnamon,2 star anise, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 2 whole cloves)
- Dry the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat up the pan, put in oil and add in all the ingredients except water, cook until golden brown.
- Pour in the water, boiled.
- Put in the chicken, bring to a boil. (For braised eggs add in at this stage)
- At low heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until cooked (add some water if the sauce is drying up).
- Prepared the hard-boilded eggs and peeled off the shell.